Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! I am happy that you are here!

My hope is that you will find a wide variety of creativity here!

~Sparkly Fusion

Thursday, April 2, 2009

*Chapter 15* New Friends

Mrs. Mathews looked at her children, “These people saved this building from the destruction that you caused. You know how important food is in the Korean culture. Tonight I want you to cook and serve these people your favorite food. Tonight, you will be making them tacos.” The children knew exactly what to do and went off to the kitchen. Mr. and Mrs. Mathews cleaned up the burnt floor and water and chatted with the firemen. The old Korean woman quietly left their apartment. Nobody said anything but thought that she might not want to try their western food. Maybe she was leaving out of politeness?

One hour later the taco buffet was set up and everyone was starving. Mr. Mathews asked everyone to gather around the table so that they could pray before the dinner started. Before Mr. Mathews started, the old neighbor woman walked in with a pot and a bowl on top. She talked to Mrs. Mathews and told her that she had prepared some food as well for them today. The children looked in the bowl and saw rice, but the pot contained the same brown liquid that she had tried to feed them earlier!

Daisy thought quickly, “Is this woman trying to poison us again?” She looked at her mom and whispered, “Mom, we smelled this awful smell all day. This soup is that smell! I think she’s trying to kill us!”

Mrs. Mathews laughed hard and then turned to her children, “Did you kids try the soup?”

“No,” said Max, “We spit it out so that we wouldn’t die!”

“This soup might smell really bad,” said Mrs. Mathews, “but this is a Korean specialty. It’s called ‘Daenjang Chigae’. The bean paste makes the soup smell really uniquely, but the taste is actually really great!”

“I see,” said Leo. “We thought we were in danger more than three times today, but actually, it was our own fault. I guess this country might be a little safer without us.”

Everyone laughed hard and patted him on the back.

“Kids, I tell my students that the only way to live abroad is to make a lot of friends,” said Mr. Mathews. “Everyone should make friends that can support you physically and spiritually. I think you need to make a new friend. Let me introduce you to our neighbor- Kang, SaRang. Her name literally means ‘love’ in Korean, and I think today that we have all seen God’s love in her today.”

The children all gave her a big hug and Kang, SaRang gave them a big smile.

“Now, I think it’s time that we pray so that we can enjoy this delicious food!” said Mrs. Mathews. “I’m starving!”

No comments:

Post a Comment